By Eryka T. Johnson
Have you ever found yourself in what appears to be a crisis of your true identity? You didn’t even realize that ‘you’ had left the scene of your life. Now, the only person left to look upon in the mirror is the one molded and shaped by man’s impressions and images.
I have found myself in this very place on more times than I care to share. In a previous article, I shared that I had an addiction of ‘people-pleasing’. Well, in this article I want to share ways to escape your identity crisis and re-focus on the ‘you’ that you were created to be.
If you have lost yourself, please know that there is hope and you should probably consider the following:
- Recognize that this a temporary setback and that you can overcome this crisis.
- Write down the perceptions you have about yourself. Identify the source of these perceptions.
- Acknowledge that in many instances you allowed the influences of others to shape the way you perceive yourself. Repent for giving them this authority.
- Identify and separate from those relationships that have negatively affected your self-image. If this is a marital relationship, you and your spouse may consider Christian Counseling to discuss these concerns openly and in a safe environment.
- Turn your focus to the inheritance you have as a believer through targeted scripture reading and meditation of these words.
- Think on those things that are good, pure, and noble concerning yourself.
- Allow Him to re-create you and provide a new, better identity through intimate one-on-one time.
Don’t allow embarrassment about identity crisis to prevent you from using this opportunity to face your fears of being the person you were created to be both inside and out. Start your journey today to re-capture the essence of ‘you’.
Please share below one perception you have about yourself.
Eryka T. Johnson